Howard J. Clinebell, Jr. Is Professor of Pastoral Counseling at the School of Theology at Claremont, California (1977). He is a member of the American Association of Marriage and Family Counselors, and the American Association of Pastoral Counselors. He is a licensed marriage, child and family counselor in the State of California. His personal website is http://members.aol.com/clinebellh/index.htm, and his email address is clinebellH@aol.com.
This book was published in 1981 by Abingdon Press. Used by permission of the author. It was prepared for Religion Online by Paul Mobley.
(ENTIRE BOOK) A survey of current psychotherapy methods, including very helpful summaries of the views of Sigmund Freud, Alfred Adler, Ottor Rank, Eric Fromm, Karen Horney, Harry Stack Sullivan, Carl Jung, and Carl Rogers, as well as behavioral, transactional, gestalt and other therapies.
- An Overview: Growth Counseling and the Five Streams of Psychotherapy
The goal of Growth Counseling and Psychotherapy is to maximize human wholeness. Achievement often requires more than one approach, thus the author gives and overview of the five main streams of the discipline.
- Chapter 1: Growth Resources in Traditional Psychotherapies Sigmund Freud and the Ego Analysts
Knowledge of the roots of contemporary therapies can help to evaluate and use them more critically and usefully. Chapter one begins with a review of Sigmund Freud and his techniques.
- Chapter 2: Growth Resources in Traditional Psychotherapies, Alfred Adler and Otto Rank
- Chapter 3: Growth Resources in Traditional Psychotherapies, Erich Fromm. Karen Horney, Harry Stack Sullivan
- Chapter 4: Growth Resources in Traditional Psychotherapies, Carl Jung, the Existentialists, and Carl Rogers
- Chapter 5: Growth Resources in Behavior-Action Therapies
Behavior-action therapies are a group of approaches to problems based in the idea that the problems are the result of faulty learning. Basically learning is used to enable growth.
- Chapter 6: Growth Resources in Transactional Analysis
Developed by Eric Byrne, transactional analysis has provided a number of tools useful for the psychotherapist and counselor.
- Chapter 7: Growth Resources in Gestalt Therapy
The Gestalt therapy examined here is one of the most innovative available today.
- Chapter 8: Growth Resources in Holistic Health, Biofeedback, and Body Therapies
Complete growth resources must also include counseling for the body as well as the psyche. Here three approaches are explored.
- Chapter 9: Growth Resources in Family Systems Therapies
Social change, including within the family and the church, can be difficult accomplishments. However, there are a several therapies where one or more will likely work any given situation.
- Chapter 10: Growth Resources in Feminist Therapies
Feminist psychologists have identified the male biases that have distorted normal human development for women. They have exposed the need for liberated counselors, liberated from male biases and perception of the different needs of women.
- Chapter 11: Growth Resources in Psychosynthesis
Psychosynthesis is a conceptive and method productive whole person approach to healing and growth for counselors and therapists.
- Conclusion; The Risks of Growth – Using These Resources for Your Continuing Growth
The author encourages our growth whether or not his methods are used.